REDRESS depends on your support.
As all the work we do on behalf of torture survivors is free of charge, we rely on the generosity of our supporters.
Individual donations can help us cover essential costs of our cases, such as legal research and investigation, medical and psychological reports for survivors, notary and court fees, translation and interpretation costs, etc.
Here are some examples of what your donation could help us achieve:
- £10 covers the fees to initiate court procedures in relation to a torture case in DRC.
- £20 covers the costs of sending by post case documentation to the UN Human Rights Committee enabling us to file a complaint on behalf of a torture survivor like Ebenezer Akwanga, a political activist tortured in Cameroon.
- £50 enables one of our lawyers to meet with a torture survivor and take his or her statement (necessary to initiate legal proceedings).
- £150 enables one of our lawyers to give a full day training to national authorities on anti-torture standards and obligations in Nepal.
- £175 allows one of our lawyers to share a full day of expertise with a local lawyer in conflict torn locations in Africa, progressing torture cases, including sexual violence cases.
- £265 covers the court fees required to file a written intervention to the UK High Court of Justice or the Court of Appeal, for example, in cases like the Mau Mau Colonial Era Torture or Baha Mousa’s case who was tortured to death in Iraq.
- £600 covers printing costs of 200 copies of a manual on how to litigate torture cases to be given to local lawyers in countries where we work.
- £900 is the current cost of obtaining a full medical or physiological evaluation of a torture survivor (needed as evidence in court).
However small or large, your donation helps REDRESS to seek the justice torture survivors deserve.
You can support our work by making a regular or single donation, or by leaving a legacy gift.
You can also use Virgin Money and Just Giving to make a single/regular donation:
You can also donate by text through Just Text Giving. Text IRAX18 £2 / £5 / £10 to 70070 (eg IRAX18 £5)